This ONE POT wonder, Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice, is made right in my Instant Pot Pressure Cooker. It’s FAST; faster than ordering and picking up that Chinese takeout! Best of all, it’s delicious – all that salty, savory, satisfying Umami goodness you hope for in Chinese style food.
I am all for convenience nowadays. I have a newborn boy who loves Mommy’s attention, a 7 1/2 going on 13-year-old stepdaughter, a hubby whom when he’s hungry wants to eat NOW, not a few minutes from now.
It’s easy to mentally resort to considering take out or delivery these days, but meals like this keep me WILLING and able to make a home cooked meal for my family.
- 2 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup carrots diced
- 1/4 cup red pepper roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup scallions (lighter & white ends only, reserve green ends) diced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 2 tbsp ginger (fresh or jarred) minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1-2 tbsp sambal oelek optional
- 1 tsp cilantro (dried, or 1 T fresh)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb chicken cooked & shredded
- 1 1/4 cup basmati rice rinsed
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2-3 tbsp lime juice freshly squeezed
- toasted sesame seeds optional for serving
- additional soy sauce optional for serving
- additional Sambal Oelek optional for serving
- scallions (green ends) optional for serving
- lime slices optional for serving
Prepare all ingredients and set aside - this is key to making this as simple as possible!
Turn on Pressure Cooker to browning or sauté setting. For Instant Pot, press “Sauté” button and press “Adjust” to set Sauté to highest setting.
Add oil to pressure cooker pot, then add carrot, pepper, scallions, garlic and ginger and sauté for 2 minutes.
Add egg and sauté an additional 2 minutes.
Add all seasonings, fish sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, lime juice, sambal oelek, chicken, rice, soy sauce and water. Stir.
Close lid of Pressure Cooker. Close vent knob. Choose Manual High Pressure setting, and set cook time to 6 minutes.
Once cook time is complete, quickly release pressure (QPR).
Open lid, fluff rice gently.
Serve immediately with optional garnishes.